Monday, July 16, 2018

Florida pedestrian bridge collapses, killing at least six

The death toll from the Miami bridge collapse has risen to at least six, officials said early Friday, as engineers and homicide investigators carefully picked through the dangerous scene in search for possible victims and evidence as to what went wrong.

Multiple vehicles were crushed when the bridge came down near Florida International University’s campus at around 1:30 p.m on Thursday. Workers were also on the structure at the time, according to Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue.

Officials said early Friday that personnel had arrived at the site from the FBI, NTSB, and OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Fire officials have relinquished the lead of the investigation and handed it over to police, Det. Alvaro Zabaleta, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade Police Department, told reporters during a 5 a.m. briefing.

“This has now turned from a rescue to a recovery operation,” he said. “We’ve been working throughout the entire night.”

Homicide detectives were working alongside engineers, both to try to find more victims but also to uncover evidence relevant to the investigation about what happened to the structure.

Keep reading this breaking new story on NBCnews.com

 

Never miss the Construction Links Network news – Subscribe today!

Sign Up for the Construction Links Network Weekly Round Up

Fill out the form to subscribe to the Construction Links Network Weekly Roundup e-newsletter. The Roundup will be delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning highlighting the top news items published on Construction Links Network over the last week. You can opt-out at any time.


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Construction Links Network, Box 398, Sundre, AB, T0M 1X0, http://www.constructionlinks.ca. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact