Monday, September 26, 2022
  • IAPMO R&T Lab - Leaderboard
  • Procore - Leaderboard - Jan 2022
  • CISC - Conference 2023 - Leaderboard
  • Apprenticeship - Leaderboard
  • Keith Walking Floor - Leaderboard - Sept 2021
  • ConExpo 2023
  • SAIT
  • Canadian Concrete Expo - leaderboard
  • Bridgit - leaderboard
  • Corecon - Leaderboard
  • Dentec Leaderboard
December 28, 2017

Faulty chimney installations spark warning for Yukon homeowners

Yukon homeowners are being advised of potential fire danger from an installation technique that goes against the manufacturer’s instruction for EXCEL chimneys for woodstoves.

The risk is a result of the improper installation method, not the product, the City of Whitehorse and the Yukon government said in a statement released last Friday.

“If you have an EXCEL chimney that passes through a floor of your home, switch to an alternate heat source and do not use your wood stove until you can confirm the chimney was installed to the manufacturer’s specifications,” the statement advises.

Homeowners with chimneys that vent through the exterior wall or do not pass through storeys of their home (i.e., in a bungalow) are not affected.

Homeowners should contact their heating appliance or chimney installation company to determine the safety of the installation.

For assistance during business hours, Whitehorse homeowners can contact the city’s Building Inspections Department at 668-8346.

Outside of Whitehorse, they can contact the territorial building safety and standards branch toll-free at 1-800-661-0408, local 5741.

A recent fire investigation by the city fire department found a fire stop made by a contractor and installed on an EXCEL chimney without proper airspace caused a fire in the chimney support of the home.

Keep reading in the Whitehorse Daily Star